- This event has passed.
Sue Lewis-Blake ‘Surface and Texture’
04 Oct, 2018 @ 10:00 am - 4:00 pm£80
Making the Ordinary Extraordinary is a sequence of four individual DRAWING workshops designed to offer the possibility of building into a full course:
3. Surface and Texture:
Produce a drawing of your house or an aspect of your home area.
Suitable for all levels of ability this is a day exploring an exciting range of black and white drawing techniquesthat focus on the creation/illusion of texture.
Either bring images of your home or other interesting buildings/street scenes to work fromor select from images providedon the day.
[You may wish to draw from observation in Ashbourne if weather allows.]
The Day’s Programme
To begin with we’ll briefly discuss a range of examples in order to gain inspiration.
- How have other artists exploited the potential of varying the surface they work on? How can we make drawings more exciting by selecting a particular surface?
- How can we create the illusion of a range of textures without introducing colour?
- How significant is perspective in architectural drawings and how do artists exploit this?
After this brief introduction, demonstrations and rapid experiments will be followed by opportunities to develop your own more detailed compositions. Tips on easy ways to draw in perspective will be included and individual guidance and attention will be available as required.
What will be needed?
- If you’d like to do a “house portrait” then please bring photos taken from interesting viewpoints [NB It’s often best to draw buildings from a corner or angle rather than straight on.]
- If you’d like to produce a more general composition, clear images of street scenes or cityscapes would be useful to work from.
- Some images will be provided should you wish to make use of them – or you could draw from observation in Ashbourne if weather allows.
- A limited supply of basic materials will be provided but please bring your own range of media if possible. Essentials would be a sketchbook or paper [if a range of colours and textures of paper could be brought then this would be ideal], a pencil [preferably one HB plus one 2B and/or softer], an eraser and a sharpener.
- Useful optional extras could include black, grey or silver pencils, graphite sticks, fine pens, marker pens, scissors, black/grey water soluble crayons, paintbrushes and pot for water.
For more information on Sue’s workshops, please click here.
The cost includes lunches and refreshments. To make a booking for any of these workshops, please contact us at 01335 347425 or email us at email@example.com.
Gift vouchers are available if you want to book a workshop for a friend or loved one.